ISDDE Conference 2005
Improving Educational Design
This was the conference that introduced ISDDE to a wider community of professional designers of educational tools and processes.
The conference was built around three themes, reflecting the goals of ISDDE:
- Designs and their Development: What do we know? How can we do better?
- Building a Design and Development Community What can it contribute? How can we get there?
- Agenda for Action
The meeting was designed to:
- be question-focussed, with some tentative answers coming from the discussions
- leave plenty of time for discussion, in and out of the sessions
- capture in note form the diverse views on moving towards the goals
- not to spend time on premature consensus-seeking
- move, over three days, from divergent thinking towards convergence on an action plan
Recognising that the conference itself was a design task, the program had some flexibility, so as to ‘learn’ and develop as it went on.
There were plenary talks on the themes.
Much of the time was spent on working groups, each working group to a specific brief and aiming to produce a written report in note form. Coverage of the issues, not polish or consensus, was the priority.
Other, less conventional, sessions that went well included an exercise in improving a design and a role play of an academic selection panel considering candidates with different kinds of record in research, more or less design-focussed.
- 2022 Conference Still Under Development
- Virtual Conference – March 24, 2021
- Nottingham, UK — Delayed to Fall 2021
- Pittsburgh, PA USA 2019
- Galway 2018
- Berkeley 2017
- Utrecht 2016
- Boulder 2015
- Cambridge 2014
- Berkeley 2013
- Utrecht 2012
- Boston 2011
- Oxford 2010
- Cairns 2009
- 2009 UK Regional Meeting
- Egmond aan Zee 2008
- Berkeley 2007
- Oxford 2006
- Oxford 2005